Thursday, June 2, 2011

SoCal Stokefest


In just over a week I'll be standing at the starting line of the San Diego 100 Mile Endurance Run anxiously anticipating the agony and ecstasy that lay before me. This will only be my second attempt at the hundred mile distance but I hope to draw on what little experience I have, in hopes of producing a result that I'm proud of. My training has been pretty mellow by design since Collegiate Peaks, and I'm finally starting to notice that energetic feeling in my legs again after about a week of legitimate tapering. Needless to say, I am so excited to test my mettle against this abusive distance again and can hardly wait to get the pilgrimage under way.

I am not approaching this race with any concrete competitive goals. In fact, I hope I can keep racing out of my mind well into the second half of the day, and instead focus on running as well as I can given my current level of fitness. That all being said, I am very excited to race against the very competitive field that has been assembled. Of course, the field is not as deep as another California 100 in June (we all probably missed on the lottery), but it still should be entertaining to follow the front pack throughout the course of the day.

In thinking about this race during the last few weeks of preparation, I have determined a few things that I would like to accomplish for myself next weekend:

1. Stay ON Course - Easy enough right? Well not really for me, especially for how confusing this particular course is. I have been studying the maps and have every intention of running with my head up all day. Seriously though, this is my #1 goal. Seriously.

2. Stay out of my own head - The mental meltdown I suffered during Collegiate Peaks was quite startling and discouraging for me. Quite simply, I cannot let that happen again, especially at the 100 mile distance. Instead, when I hit inevitable low points, I intend to focus on how fortunate I am to do what I do. Staying positive and optimistic will be hugely important.

3. Stay THE Course - Finish by whatever means necessary. To this point, I have finished every ultra I have started. I don't intend to break the streak. Simple.

I will have a pretty solid team of friends and family there to support me along the way, but I intend to run this race pacerless ("Meltzer-Style" or "Soul Shredding") which should be interesting. I'll be wearing a somewhat fresh pair of Fireblades, rocking Sportiva Yellow, and chugging liters of EFS, Water, and Coca-Cola (nutrition of champions) along the way.

That's it. Ain't nothin' left to do but to do it. Fire it up.

4 comments:

  1. Yellow is the leaders jersey- go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dylan - all the best out there man. As you said, you know you will hit a low point - just enjoy the ride back out and up to the highs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you win, which you better, you have to do the Nu Thang at the finish line. You will be picturing that you're whole race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Win Dylan...Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete